The best surprises often come in strange packages. The Liebster Award for up-and-coming blogs is an example of this principle.
The timing is particularly fitting given that it’s Oscar weekend. While you don’t get a shiny gold statue for winning the Liebster Award, you do get this lovely hot pink bar of soap emblazoned with the award’s name to decorate your little corner of cyberspace.
With the Liebster Award, there is no Academy to thank, no overarching governing body. Rather, each award winner must pass the honor along to eleven new recipients. A special thanks to Jadi Campbell of http://jadicampbell.wordpress.com who selected me as one of her inspiring eleven.
While the public speaking has been waved (phew), the recipient of the Liebster must answer eleven questions for his/her readers posed by the award giver. So, here they are:
1) Do you want to live to be 100?
Hmmm. I think that would be dependent on how healthy I could be at 100. If I could be a super granny with amazing eyesight, loads of time, and only a touch of arthritis so I could spend all those years reading, then I would like to live to be 100–more years mean more books I could read!
2) If you dream that you can fly, where are you flying to?
Ireland is on my radar at the moment.
3) What is ‘your’ song?
I don’t have a song because I don’t listen to music (cue shocked horror)
4) If you could climb in a time machine, where would you go?
Late nineteenth-century Paris. I would hang out there for five years or so, and then I would link up with some explorers going to Japan.
5) Do you need a private space to write, or can you write anywhere?
That depends on what I’m writing. Academic writing must be done alone, in a quiet place, with no distractions for an extended period of time. Blog writing I can do just about anywhere–while watching TV, chatting with friends, in a cafe, etc. Creative fiction writing I usually do in a relatively distraction-free place or in a cafe.
4) Are there foods you absolutely refuse to eat?
I have Celiac Disease, so I refuse to eat wheat, barley, oats, or rye because they contain gluten. I’ve been gluten-free for over twelve years now. I was diagnosed at the Mayo Clinic before reliable tests existed for Celiac Disease.
5) Do you have a book you reread over and over?
I’ve read the classic Tamora Pierce books set in Tortall at least 10 times each. Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice and Mansfield Park are also favorites–I’ve read them about five times each. L.M. Montgomery’s Anne of Green Gables series, C.S. Lewis’s Narnia books, Little Women, Ella Enchanted, and Diana Wynn Jone’s Chrestomanci Chronicles are also big rereading books for me.
6) What person or past experience makes you sentimental?
Rereading old books makes me sentimental. Also, hanging out with my dear friend A (you know who you are) who I have been close with since middle school and who I now live near for the first time in years.
7) What is the best vacation you’ve ever had?
When I went to Disney World with my college friends for Spring Break (not once, but twice). (Yes, I know it’s cliche)
8) Do you believe in reincarnation?
I have no real position on reincarnation, for or against.
9) If yes, what do you hope (or worry) you’ll come back as? If no, what do you think comes next?
I would worry about coming back as anything that couldn’t read.
Then, you must post eleven factoids about yourself–for all of the gossip rags which won’t be hunting down zany tidbits about you for your fans.
1) I was a competitive figure skater for fifteen years.
2) I love red pandas–almost as much as I love cats.
3) I do have autographed copies of Tamora Pierce’s books.
4) My favorite flavor of coffee is creme brulee.
5) I used to work as a sales person at Mikasa.
6) I have never been to Ireland even though I’m twice Irish.
7) I love “Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman” even though it’s soppy.
8) For many years, I had amazing purple contacts.
9) My dad built the desk I write at (and it’s awesome).
10) For me, tea is a food group.
11) I didn’t start liking chocolate until I was 15.
And now, to announce my nominees for the Liebster Award. You may or may not write about books, but I enjoy poking around your websites in my free time all the same.
Finally, questions for my nominees to answer should they decide to accept the Liebster Award.
1) What is your favorite childhood memory?
2) If you could be one fictional character, from a book, a TV show, or a movie, who would you like to be for a day and why?
3) Why are you writing this blog or posting these photographs?
4) If all the books in the world are being burned, what is the one book you couldn’t live without?
5) What five words would you chose to describe yourself?
6) Tea or Coffee?
7) What is your favorite animal, and why?
8) If you became the ruler of your respective nation, what would be your first act in office?
9) What fantastical element/creature/thing would you add to our world and why?
10) If you could wish for one thing, what would it be? (world peace is not an option)
11) What is your least favorite word?